Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Maui Mana - "I ka wa mamua ka wa mahope"


It's my second day in Maui and I'm LOVIN it. I came to Maui for the first time last year and crammed as much sustainability stuff as I could in one week. This time around I have two weeks and am doing my best to get even deeper into all the sustainability efforts underway on Maui and other islands. The translation of the phrase above is "the future is in the past" and I think it fits the philosophy behind sustainability efforts here very well.

One of my favorite things to do when first arriving is to visit the Savers store. It is essentially the same store as Value Village back home in Seattle, but the great thing is they have a huge selection of aloha shirts, shorts, flip flops, etc. I have lots of plans starting on Wednesday, so do check back. For now, I'm going to do my best to put together lists of the plant, bird, and fish species I see in my runs, swims, explorations, etc. Keep an eye out on the left column.

Speaking of birds, I've been very entertained by the cattle egrets on the island during my morning runs. I've actually love them since I was a kid running around at the zoo where my Mother worked in Albuquerque. They are of course beautiful, but they also have this very cute "who am I, why am I here...oh, there's a bug [gulp]...wait a second, who am I, why am I here" look about them. It's also funny to watch a sedge of egrets chasing after lawn mowers to nab the new bugs and then have that same "wait a minute...who am I, why am I here" look about them.

No comments: